Message from the Dean
Welcome to the UNM College of Pharmacy.
Our primary mission over our 70-year history has been educating the pharmacy leaders of tomorrow pharmacists, educators and scientists whose leadership, dedication and innovation are serving the public and improving health care. I am honored to serve as the dean of this great College and proud of our strong history and bright future.
What makes us special?
- We are a small college in a large research university. Our students have the opportunity to learn, practice and conduct research in interprofessional/interdisciplinary teams in state-of-the art facilities while receiving the support and attention of our close-knit community.
- Our distinguished faculty, recognized nationally and internationally for their research and clinical practice, are dedicated to educating the most talented students.
- Our faculty is engaged in cutting-edge research in basic and applied science, answering important questions about drug efficacy and drug delivery. Their work is funded by nearly $8 million in federal grants this year and has resulted in 20 U.S. patents on innovative solutions to improve diagnoses and combat deadly diseases.
- Our legacy as New Mexico’s primary provider of pharmacy professionals to New Mexico. We are the state’s only College of Pharmacy. Three of every five practicing pharmacists in New Mexico is a graduate of our program – many of them practicing in rural and otherwise underserved areas of the state – shaping the profession and continuing to support our students.
- Our role as leaders in developing new models of patient care and new roles for pharmacists. We are the birthplace of nuclear pharmacy and have partnered to expand the role of pharmacists in new models of patient care and via prescriptive authority.
- We make a difference – in improving health, discovering new treatments and translating best practices into our communities. We work closely with practicing pharmacists to offer our students hands-on practical experience. Our students, who volunteer across New Mexico, are nationally recognized for their service.
I am excited about what we do and I encourage you, as a future Doctor of Pharmacy student or graduate student, potential faculty member or just someone curious about the profession and our College, to connect with us. Explore our website, reach out and ask questions – or even drop by for a visit. We are here to share our story with you.