Larry Georgopoulos, PharmD
Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs & Clinician Educator Professor: Administration
Office Location: NRPH B12C
Phone: (505) 272-0983
- Responsible for providing strategic direction and operations support for the College of Pharmacy’s clinical service initiatives in addition to the administrative and teaching responsibilities related to this position.
- Dr. Georgopoulos has successfully pursed the development of innovative medication management delivery models of care and direct contracts with managed care insurance companies.
- Developed key strategic partnerships within the UNM Health Sciences Center and negotiated practice management contracts with the UNM Medical Group and the UNM Hospital Clinics to provide practice management and insurance billing support to College of Pharmacy faculty providers.
- Instrumental in the College of Pharmacy being granted associate membership on the Health Systems Credentials Committee.
- Organized the College of Pharmacy’s Consultant Group and successfully pursued contacts with Medical Groups, Federally Qualified Health Centers, Ryan White Clinics, Native American 638 Grant Programs, and Pharmacy Benefit Managers. Core pharmacist consulting services have expanded to include drug formulary development, MTM training, managed care contracts, regulatory compliance, clinical pharmacy program development, pharmacy operations management, AAAHC and TJC compliance, PBM oversight, and compliance oversight for 340-B programs.
- Oversaw the start-up of the MTM Call Center and successfully petitioned the New Mexico Medicaid Program for unique billing codes for telephonic MTM services and post hospital discharge care transitions to support the MTM Center’s contractual billing obligations.
- Dr. Georgopoulos currently manages over 21 contracts related to the provision of innovative medication management and pharmacist consulting services with health care companies in New Mexico.
- Dr. Georgopoulos is an active member of the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy, and has served on numerous committees since the founding of the Academy and was appointed to AMCP’s Founders Circle. Dr. Georgopoulos is a nationally recognized pioneer in managed care pharmacy practice and was recently awarded the recognition of Fellow of the Academy of Managed Care Pharmacy.
In summary, Dr. Georgopoulos brings over 40 years of leadership experience, most of it in the managed health care sector at the executive level. His managed care experience spans more than three decades of solid of increasingly progressive experience with stellar managed care organizations and integrated health care delivery systems.